June 7, 2010

Ethnopoetics – A Jamaican deportee tells his story.

Samuel arrived in the United States when he was 15 years old. When he was 19, he was arrested and charged with attempted murder of a police officer. He believes he was wrongfully convicted. He spent 26 years in prison and was deported to Jamaica.

I was charged for attempted murder.
This is some of the things I hate to talk about. …
It’s just an unfortunate situation, you nuh.
I’m to be blamed of some of it because
the company or whatever. …
I might have caused certain things. …
I spent 26 years …
half of my life was gone. …

When everyone is locked up they always say “oh I didn’t do it”.
You nuh, it’s a common joke.
But … for a person who actually is there
and haven’t done anything
it’s not no joking matter. ….
Probably I don’t explain myself properly
just to let someone really understand. …
it’s just painful for me. …

Well I’ll talk about it.
But you nuh ….
I just say it’s like, here we go again. ….
I was charged with attempted murder. ….
The people that I was hanging out with is friends, you nuh....
the night when I got arrested
I was in a stolen car
which I didn’t know. …

And we got we got stopped.
And that’s where when I got arrested.
And after, then, that’s how I know I was charged with attempted murder. …

They found a weapon. …
No prints were found.
They say that we don’t take fingerprints from a weapon.

Samuel, Kingston, Jamaica

No comments:

Post a Comment