July 5, 2009

An evening walk to Putt n Play

I spent Sunday doing laundry, cleaning up, and playing with the kids in the pool. In the afternoon, as promised, I took the girls to the Putt n Play near Emancipation Park in New Kingston.

Putt n Play is about a fifteen minute walk from our house, just past the Hilton. I know the route well, as I walked it each day I went to the Hilton for the Caribbean Studies Association Conference.

We left the house around 6pm, too early for the prostitutes who hang out on the corner to be out. It was still light out, so I was not too nervous walking past the sewer line where the crackheads live. Nevertheless, I was relieved to arrive at the Strip, where the lights from the Digicell lighted billboard illuminate the street. From there, it is a well-lit route to the Putt n Play.

My husband, Nando, met us there. He had spent the day with a friend at Hellshire Beach. His friend is from Trenchtown, and never leaves the garrison. This was the first time he had been to Hellshire Beach. He has never been to New Kingston. One day, he'll come visit us here.

At the ticket gate, I told the girls they could each have two tickets. Raymi chose two rides, and Tatiana and Soraya chose one ride and one game of mini-golf each. After the rides, Soraya and I shared a jerk sausage, and Raymi and Tatiana got ice cream sandwiches.

It was 8pm, and time to go home. As it wasn't too late, we opted to walk back. We hoped to tire the girls out some more, and to get some exercise ourselves. When we came upon the street with the crackheads, I got just a bit nervous.

A couple of weeks ago, Nando was accosted on this street. Two men asked him for money and stuck their hands in his pockets. He didn't have any money in his pockets. Fortunately, they left without harming him. That was much later at night. Nando said it wasn't a big deal. But, it bothers me. And, I am glad it didn't happen to me, as that would freak me out.

We made it past that street and the one with the prostitutes without incident.

When I got home, I had an email from the transcriptionist with my first transcribed interview. Perfect timing. Tomorrow, the girls will be at summer camp, and I will have all day to go over the interview and double-check it.

I am also thinking of popular venues where I can begin to submit some of my work in progress. I sent queries to The Nation and ColorLines. We'll see if either is interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment